- All trees in the right of way (between the sidewalk and curb) are public trees and are maintained by the Forestry Division.
- Removals and trimming are done by the Forestry Division or by a contractor hired by the city.
- Public trees are trimmed for safety, elevation, and clearance.
Inspection and Trimming Requests (Public Trees Only)
- Submit an online request.
- Call the Forestry Department at 586-445-5363
- Submit an online request for the Code Enforcement Department
- Contact the Code Enforcement Department at 586-447-3409.
Purchasing a Tree in the Right of Way
- If you are planning on planting a tree in the right-of-way, please view our list of approved tree species (PDF).
- The cost of each tree is $225.00.
- Complete and submit the Tree Selection Form (PDF) with payment to the Cashier's Department at City Hall.
- Trees purchased between March 1st and August 31st will be planted the following fall.
- Trees purchased between September 1st and February 28th will be planted the following spring.
- The city will have the final determination of species of tree for the requested location, but we will do our best to accommodate.
If you have any questions regarding purchasing a tree, please call the D.P.W. Supervisor, Geoffrey Brown at 586-445-5363 x 1602.
Free wood chips are available to residents at no charge. The wood chip pile is located in the parking lot across from the Public Works complex at 19700 Pleasant. The pile is self-serve,