Tax & Water Department
CHANGE FOR 2020 TAXES
There is a change for the 2020 winter tax season. Over the last several years the City has combined the summer and winter tax bills for those homeowners whose winter tax bill would be less than $100. This effort saves the City over $15,000 per year. In order for this to happen, the City Council and the Macomb County Treasurer must approve a resolution. The City obtained these approvals and proceeded to issue summer tax bills with the statement that a homeowner would not receive a winter tax bill if his or her taxable was under $63,922. Unfortunately, a few weeks after the summer tax bills were issued, the City was notified by the County that a new millage was to be billed for 2020. This requires that the City issue winter bills to all homeowners.
- The abbreviations on the bill MTB are for the Martha T Berry Medical Care Facility. The millage was authorized by a resolution (2019-4118) of the Macomb County Board of Commissioners as allowed for by MCL 400.58b (part of PA 280 of 1939). The millage was levied for 0.1000 mills, but was rolled back under Headlee to 0.0990.
- The millage as passed was a one-year millage. However, MTB management has proposed that it will need the millage again for 2021, this time for only half of the amount of the originally passed millage, 0.0500 mills. Assuming the proposed millage is approved by resolution of the Macomb County Board of Commissioners, the millage as proposed would be levied on the December 2021 tax bill for an amount no greater than 0.0500 mills, but potentially slightly less than that if there was a Headlee rollback between now and then.
- The 2020 Summer tax bill is due September 1, 2020.
- The 2020 Winter tax bill is due February 16, 2021 without interest.
- If eligible, you may apply for a deferral of the Summer tax bill once the bills have been issued. You will need to complete a Summer Tax Deferral Form and include a copy of your Homestead Property Tax Credit form (MI 1040-CR) that was filed with your previous year's Michigan income tax return. If you are eligible and defer your Summer taxes, these taxes are due on February 15, 2021 along with your Winter taxes, without penalty or interest
- 2020 tax bills can be paid at City Hall through March 1, 2021.
- Effective March 2, 2021, all unpaid 2020 taxes must be paid to the Macomb County Treasurer, 1 South Main Street, Mt. Clemens, MI 48043, (586) 469-5190, with additional penalties.
- Poverty applications will be accepted beginning February 1, 2020 for the 2020 tax season. You may obtain a copy of the application by contacting the Assessing Department at 586-447-3355.
- Effective June 1, 2020, all unpaid weed, sidewalk and other miscellaneous bills have been transferred to the 2020 Summer tax bill.
- For information about water bills, taxes, assessing and building permits by property address, go to Online BSA