Swimming & Lifeguard Lessons
Session 1: June 19 - June 30
Session 2: July 3 - July 14 (classes will be held on July 4)
Session 3: July 17 - July 28
Session 4: July 31 - August 11
Days/Times: 11-11:50 AM or 12-12:50 PM, Monday-Friday
All classes are taught by trained American Red Cross Lifeguards and Water Safety Instructors.
In-person (Residents only): 8 AM-4 PM, May 1-May 6
In-person (Everyone): 8 AM-4 PM, May 8 to Labor Day
IN-PERSON REGISTRATION AT LAC STE. CLAIR POOL ONLY (27600 JEFFERSON)
Register online: Beginning Monday, May 8
|Level||Lesson Type||Resident Fee||Non-Resident Fee|
|Level 1||Water Exploration (Tots) (42 inches)||$52||$57|
|Level 2||Primary Skills (Beginners)||$52||$57|
|Level 3||Stroke Readiness (Advanced Beginners)||$57||$62|
|Level 4||Stroke Development (Intermediates)||$57||$62|
|Level 5||Stroke Refinement (Swimmer)||$57||$62|
|Level 6||Skill Proficiency (Advanced Swimmer)||$57||$72|
*Class sizes will be limited*
LEVEL 1 - Water Exploration (Tots) 42" Height
- Orientation to aquatic environment. Create a sound foundation for aquatic and safety skills.
- Course Content: Supported floating kicking and arm action on front and back, alternating arm action, water safety rules, how to get help in an emergency, reaching assist with and without equipment, fundamentals of using a life jacket.
LEVEL 2 - Primary Skills (Beginners)
- Expand fundamental aquatic locomotion and safety skills.
- Course Content: Floating and kicking on front and back, development of freestyle and backstroke, introduction of rhythmic breathing, combined stroke on front and back, turning over front to back/back to front, reaching and extension assists.
LEVEL 3 - Stroke Readiness (Advanced Beginners)
- Increase swimming skill competency. Practice safety and rescue skills, and introducing new stroke.
- Course Content: Introduction to breaststroke side stroke, and butterfly, jumping into deep water without a life jacket, diving from side of pool, treading water, self-rescue, strengthening rhythmic breathing.
LEVEL 4 - Stroke Development (Intermediates)
- Develop confidence and competency in strokes and safety skills. Introduction and development of elementary backstroke and butterfly.
- Course Content: Dives from side of pool from stride and standing positions, development of breaststroke, sidestroke, and butterfly, and introduction of flip turns.
LEVEL 5 - Stroke Refinement (Swimmer)
- Continue refinement of front crawl, back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke, and butterfly; surface dives, and also includes springboard diving.
- Course Content: Alternate breathing, swimming underwater, development of butterfly, open turns on front and back, diving safety and pool safety.
LEVEL 6 - Skill Proficiency (Advanced Swimmer)
- Develop maximum efficiency and endurance for strokes, encourage lifetime fitness. Refine strokes learned in previous levels, teach advanced rescue skills, and prepare the students for competition.
- Course Content: Tuck and pile surface dives, alternative kicks for treading water, variety of skills to prepare or lifeguarding courses in the future.
St. Clair Shores Sea Serpents Swim Team
The St. Clair Shores Sea Serpents swim team is formed each year and competes against the five Grosse Pointes. Includes competition for beginning and advanced competitive swimmers. For more information on how to join, practice and tryout schedule, call the Municipal Pool at 586-445-5270.
If you have participated on the team or have swam in high school, you do not need to try out.
- Competitive swimmer
- The advanced competitive swimmer
- The long course competitive swimmer
Learn more about the Sea Serpents Swim Team (PDF)
Lifeguard Training Sessions
- Cost per person - $215
- 2023 Dates: TBD
Provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over.
- Minimum age: 15 years
- Swim 300 yards continuously
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute: start in the water and swim 20 yards, dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object, and return to the surface. Swim backward 20 yards to the starting point and exit the water without using steps or a ladder.
Participants who complete the Lifeguarding course receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for two years.
This is a Blended Learning Format class. Upon registering at the St. Clair Shores Pool by calling 586-445-5270, students will receive a code to sign up on the American Red Cross Website and begin the online portion (approximately 7 hours).
The in-person portion of the class will take place over multiple days (dates and times listed below) at the City of St. Clair Shores Municipal Pool, located at 27600 Jefferson, MI 48081.
If you are interested in signing up, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org