News Flash

Home

Posted on: July 14, 2020

Gov. Whitmer Extends Declaration of Emergency to August 11, 2020

Governor Whitmer Extends Declaration of Emergency Amid Rising COVID-19 Cases

Governor remains committed to keeping Michiganders safe and saving lives


LANSING, Mich. -- After every region in Michigan saw an uptick in new COVID-19 cases over the past three weeks, Governor Gretchen Whitmer today took swift action by signing a new executive order to save lives. Executive Order 2020-151 extends the governor’s emergency and disaster declaration until August 11, 2020 at 11:59pm.


“COVID-19 has now killed more than 6,000 people in Michigan. That’s more than 6,000 of our parents, grandparents, friends, and neighbors. And the rising numbers we’ve seen over the past few weeks prove that this virus is still a very real threat in our state,” said Governor Whitmer. “Today, I signed new emergency and disaster declarations using independent sources of statutory authority to continue saving lives and ensure that the brave men and women on the front lines of this crisis have the tools they need.”


“Throughout this crisis, the vast majority of Michiganders have done their part, but we must remain vigilant and continue to do everything we can to protect our loved ones,” said Whitmer. “That means wearing a mask over your mouth and nose and practicing safe physical distancing when going out in public. If we all do our part now, there is a greater chance that schools can resume in-person learning in the fall. Be smart, be safe, and mask up.”


Daily COVID-19 case counts now exceed 20 cases per million in the Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo regions. Positivity rates are creeping upward. The increase in cases reflects a national trend: COVID-19 cases are growing in 39 states and in some are surging uncontrollably. Two days ago, for example, Florida recorded 15,300 new cases in a single day, the highest one-day total for any state so far during the pandemic.


“COVID-19 still poses a threat to families across Michigan, and it’s crucial that Governor Whitmer continue to take swift action to save lives,” said Chief Medical Executive and MDHHS Chief Deputy for Health Dr. Joneigh Khaldun. “Michiganders should all continue to do their part by wearing a mask and practicing safe physical distancing. We will get through this when we work together.”


The severe economic toll of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to mount. During this crisis, Michigan has often processed more unemployment claims in a single day than in the most painful week of the Great Recession, and the state already saw its highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression. The Michigan Department of Treasury predicts that this year the state will lose between $1 and $3 billion in revenue. At the same time, continued federal support is by no means assured. Unless it is renewed, for example, Congress’s emergency infusion of money into the unemployment system will cease at the end of this month. Without that money, many families in Michigan will struggle to pay their bills or even put food on the table.


The health, economic, and social harms of the COVID-19 pandemic remain widespread and severe, and they continue to constitute a statewide emergency and disaster. Though local health departments have some limited capacity to respond to cases as they arise within their jurisdictions, state emergency operations are necessary to bring this pandemic under control in Michigan and to build and maintain infrastructure to stop the spread of COVID-19, trace infections, and quickly direct additional resources to hot-spots as they emerge.


To view Executive Order 2020-151, click the link below:
https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MIEOG/2020/07/14/file_attachments/1495465/EO%202020-151%20Emerg%20declaration.pdf

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

August 4, 2020 Election Reminder

Posted on: July 29, 2020

DIA Inside Out Exhibit Map

Posted on: July 14, 2020

Apply to Become an Election Worker

Posted on: July 7, 2020

Council Candidates Official List

Posted on: June 24, 2020

11 Mile Boat Launch Update

Posted on: June 9, 2020

DPW Long Monday on June 8, 2020

Posted on: June 2, 2020

9 Mile Boat Ramp CLOSED

Posted on: May 29, 2020

Help with Home Repairs

Posted on: May 26, 2020

Concert Cancelation Press Release

Posted on: May 19, 2020

NOTICE About Sand Bags

Posted on: May 18, 2020

DPW Update on Essential Services

Posted on: May 12, 2020

Join the Absentee Voter List

Posted on: April 14, 2020

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM GFL

Posted on: April 9, 2020

FROM CITY ATTORNEY ROBERT IHRIE

Posted on: April 9, 2020

UPDATE FROM THE 40TH DISTRICT COURT

Posted on: April 7, 2020

Yard Maintenance Notice

Posted on: April 7, 2020

Notice about Long Mondays

Posted on: April 6, 2020

Message from the SCS Golf Course

Posted on: April 3, 2020

Closure Notice

Posted on: April 3, 2020

Hydrant Flushing Notice

Posted on: April 3, 2020

Notice from SMART regarding COVID-19

Posted on: March 30, 2020

UPDATE ON CITY CLOSURE EXTENSION

Posted on: March 23, 2020

2020 Census Reminder

Posted on: March 23, 2020

Yard Waste Pick-Up for Spring 2020

Posted on: March 18, 2020

Blood Drive at VFW Bruce Post 1146

Posted on: March 18, 2020

NOTICE FROM THE 40th DISTRICT COURT

Posted on: March 18, 2020

NOTICE FROM THE SCS LIBRARY

Posted on: March 17, 2020

NOTICE OF CANCELLED MEETINGS

Posted on: March 17, 2020

Mayor Walby New Email Address

Posted on: March 16, 2020

Notice from the SCS Library

Posted on: March 13, 2020

COVID-19 Notification

Posted on: March 13, 2020

Selfie Stations at Voting Precincts

Posted on: March 3, 2020

New Telephone Number for Governor Whitmer

Posted on: February 24, 2020

Absentee Ballots Mailed

Posted on: February 11, 2020

Election Workers Needed

Posted on: February 6, 2020

Mayor's Corner Special Edition

Posted on: November 9, 2019

NOTICE FROM THE 40TH DISTRICT COURT

Posted on: October 8, 2019