March 23, 2020... To comply with Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s recent executive order to “Stay Home, Stay Safe,” the City will extend building closures and service reductions from March 31, 2020 to April 13, 2020. The City will also reduce staffing in City Hall to provide essential services only.
If you have questions or concerns, call the City Hotline at 586-445-5200 (option 1) or check out the Staff Directory on our website (www.scsmi.net) and send an email to individual departments. Due to fewer employees, not every call will be answered immediately. We will respond to you as soon as possible.
The City will continue to reevaluate staffing and services as the situation progresses. We hope that these measures will help decrease the spread of COVID-19 in our community. “Stay Home, Stay Safe. Save Lives.”
March 16, 2020...Following the recommendation of Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s State Order to minimize the community spread of coronavirus (COVIS-19), the City asks residents who frequently visit our City buildings for services to conduct their business over the phone or through the City’s website at www.scsmi.net. You can also drop off bill payments, etc in the white drop box outside of City Hall on Jefferson Avenue.
Additionally, as of Tuesday, March 17, 2020, all City buildings are closed to the public until further notice. This includes, but is not restricted to the Public Library, the Senior Activity Center, the Civic Arena, the Golf Course, City Hall, the Department of Public Works (DPW), the Police Department Records Division, and the Fire Department Administrative Office.
The following City services to the public are also impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak:
In the Department of Public Works (DPW):
* Regular trash collection will continue unless the City notifies residents of a change.
* Yard waste season begins on Monday, March 23, 2020.
* Trash carts will be delivered to resident homes; there is no pick up from the DPW office.
* Water shut-offs (due to non-payment), meter change appointments, and non-critical service person appointments are suspended.
* Residents who need sandbags can call DPW directly at 445.5363 and request delivery.
In the Library
* The Library is closed to the public. Patrons are encouraged to use their online services at www.scslibrary.org.
* The Library book drop is open to receive materials 24/7.
* Donations for the Friends of the Library are suspended.
At the Senior Center/Civic Arena/Golf Course
* The City is making arrangements for home-delivery of meals to seniors who have signed up for the program at the Senior Activity Center. Call 445.5350 for more information.
* SMART Bus Service will continue to run for essential trips.
* The Golf Course is closed.
In the City Clerk’s Office
* Death Certificates can be certified, but certified copies cannot be provided.
* Bid Openings can be submitted electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) or placed in the white drop box on the circle drive on Jefferson Avenue.
* City Council meetings are no longer open to the public. Council meetings are live-streamed or re-broadcast on SCSTV (Comcast Channel 5, WOW Channel 10, and AT&T Channel 99) on the City website at www.scsmi.net.
* All Boards & Commissions meetings are postponed until further notice.
At the 40th District Court
* The Court will remain open to the public for essential purposes only.
* All Court matters except for the following are adjourned:
Drunk and Drug driving crimes
Crimes involving in-custody defendants
* Landlord/Tenant Cases – limited adjournments are being given.
* Individuals may view court case records and make payments via the 40th district court website.
At the Police Department
* Reports will be taken by phone if possible.
* The Police Department will continue to respond to all emergencies and calls that need an officer on the scene but will limit officer response when possible.
* The Records Bureau is closed to the public.
* Temporary parking permit applications will not be issued.
In the Tax and Water Department
* Utility bills can be paid online or placed in the white drop box in front of City Hall.
* All late fee penalties and interest will be waived until City Hall is open for regular business.
* Standard convenience fees assessed to credit card transactions will be waived.
In the Community Development Department (CDI)
* Interior inspections on occupied properties are temporarily suspended unless directly related to sanitary conditions or food preparation.
* The City will continue to conduct many exterior inspections.
* All rental inspections are suspended until further notice. The City will not issue penalties, fines, or citations as a result of these postponements.
* Building permit activity can be conducted online.
* Planning applications, submissions, and reviews can be done online and/or with assistance by phone at 445.3350.
The safety of our residents is our top priority. The City continues to monitor the situation with COVID-19 very closely. We will reassess resident services as needed and are prepared to do whatever is necessary to keep you and your family safe.